Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Google Sync

I like Google Calendar. It, of course, is a fully functional web calendar with some pretty great features, including the ability to publish your calendar and share with others. It is one feature in particular though, that has really turned me into a believer: Google Calendar Sync. This tool (still in Beta), provides the ability to synchronize my Outlook Calendar with my Google Calendar. This is important for a number of reasons. Firstly, as a consultant, I work at a variety of places (each of which has a separate Outlook account per corporate policy). Secondly, I have a Blackberry which is 'Enterprise Activated' for my employer. Presently, Blackberry can only handle one enterprise activation per device. This prevents me from truly reconciling my multiple Outlook/Exchange domains.

Google Sync allows me to synchronize my multiple Outlook calendars with my Google Calendar (and back again), thereby providing a bridge between my offices. Additionally, I can synchronize with my Blackberry thus guaranteeing me that I will get at least three reminders for every meeting...Admittedly, I've got some kinks to work out in my implementation of this feature (see aforementioned multiple reminders). A contact synchronization feature has just come out for the Blackberry version of Google Sync. I haven't yet configured that feature but am optimistic about it and future releases of Google Sync.

Am I the only one who thinks it should be abbreviated synch? Oh well.

No comments: