Sunday, January 4, 2009

Vlingo

I just got a new piece of software for my Blackberrry. I spend a good amount of time looking for freeware, and then trying it out. Lately, there have been more misses than hits, but I think I have a hit in Vlingo. It is a suite of voice-enabled applications for your smart-phone. Living in the climate I do, there are a lot of white-knuckle commutes. The last thing I need is to have to deal with the keyboard on my device at a time like that. So last night, with baited breath...I initiated the OTA download. The installation and setup were done in minutes. The first test was an internet search. This went fine. I was ready for something more practical. I voice-activated the e-mail feature to send a message to my wife (the test was: "send email to '[wife]', subject 'yes', message 'no'"). Seconds later, she had received my message (subject 'Jeff', message 'Go')! Well...I think it was a reasonably good first test and I've managed some more successful attempts since (including while driving). I can already see that this could be a tremendously useful product. Cheers.

No comments: